Geneva was one of the first coin mints in what is Switzerland today, with coinage giong back to the 5th century. The first to produce their coins in Geneva were the Merovingian and the Carolingian dynasties. Then followed the bishops, the counts, the city and finally the canton of Geneva. This denier (pfennig) was issued under the rule of Bishop Frederic (1031-1073). One face shows a church and the inscription GENEVA CIVITAS. On the other face is a cross and the inscription FREDERIC[u]S EP[iscopu]S.